Making extra money has something that I have focused on, since I was fresh out of college. Finding myself at 22, in charge of a scary mortgage, student loan I decided that I needed to generate more cash than my teacher’s wage was paying me.
If I was ever going to be financially independent and not asking my dad for money every month, this is the way it was going to be.
Fact is, I was scared, so scared at the thought of all the debt I had built up in such a short period of time.
Now, because of my attention to small side hustles over the years, me and Mr Budget find ourselves debt free, and owning our own cars. Next to hammer is the mortgage!
- 1 These questions came into my head, when I decided I needed to find out how to make extra cash:
- 1.1 Where can I find side hustle ideas?
- 1.2 What could I do to make extra money?
- 1.3 How much time will I have to dedicate to making extra money from home?
- 1.4 What types of incomes on the side are acceptable to fit around my main income?
- 1.5 How much extra money can I make from home or online, or both, every month?
- 1.6 If you are wondering any of these things, you have come to the right place.
- 2 How To Make An Extra £1,000 A Month As An Online Tutor
- 3 Be sure to save me for later on Pinterest!
- 3.1 1. Sell items on Ebay or Amazon
- 3.2 2. Dog walking or pet sit part time -in your lunch break or after work
- 3.3 3. Groom pets
- 3.4 4.Tutoring
- 3.5 How to make an extra £1000 a month as an online tutor
- 3.6 5. Complete surveys
- 3.7 Prolific
- 3.8 Swagbucks always has cool offers on also. You can choose between cash and other stuff like gift cards.
- 3.9 Take me to Swagbucks!
- 3.10 Oh My Dosh!
- 3.11 6. Sell your unwanted stuff at car boot sales
- 3.12 7. Set up an Etsy Store
- 3.13 8. Start a blog
- 3.14 How to Start a Blog
- 3.15 My favourite blog tools for beginners
- 3.16 9.Write an article for these blogs that will pay you up to $100.
- 3.17 10. Sell Your SmartPhone Photos
- 3.18 11. Sell your photos online
- 3.19 Find out how to make $100 a photo!
- 3.20 12. Sell your old phone or tablet
- 3.21 Find out how to make money online fast from my handset or tablet!
- 3.22 13.Test products for cash or other rewards of your choice.
- 3.23 Take me to Paid Product Testing!
- 3.24 14. Rent out the stuff you own to raise extra cash
- 3.25 Take me to Rentnotbuy!
- 3.26 Take me over to Fatllama!
- 3.27 15. Join Focus groups
- 4 Other Easy Ways to Make Money
There are many reasons why you might want to start a side income to make extra money:
- It might help you pay off debts
- It might help pay for a big purchase that you don’t want to go into debt for
- It may help you retire earlier.
- It may help you put your kids through college without debt and worry.
- It might be more interesting than your main income.
- It may help you widen your skills.
- It might be a way of getting experience for something you would rather do as a main income.
- It might pay the bills short term.
These questions came into my head, when I decided I needed to find out how to make extra cash:
Where can I find side hustle ideas?
What could I do to make extra money?
How much time will I have to dedicate to making extra money from home?
What types of incomes on the side are acceptable to fit around my main income?
How much extra money can I make from home or online, or both, every month?
If you are wondering any of these things, you have come to the right place.
Related posts on making money
How much time will I have to dedicate to making extra money from home?
First of all, you need to realistically look at everything you do in a week. Write it all down and create a timetable. By doing this, you will be able then to see the gaps you have in your schedule, where you could fit your side income in.
Then think about whether what you are planning to do can be fitted into the time slot you have created for yourself. For example, if you are thinking, I can walk a dog for an hour.. you need to factor in travel time to and from the owner’s house and potentially where you are going to take the dog on the walk.
What types of side hustle are acceptable to fit around my main income?
For certain main income types, such as mine as a teacher, you will have to make sure that your side hustle is seen as acceptable and doesn’t interfere with your main income. For many types of public service job, you will need to think carefully before you start building your side income. Nevertheless, there are so many possible sources of income out there – many of which I had definitely not heard of, when I started out!
Start a side business – what ideas are there out there?
Starting a side business is a great way of giving yourself access to extra income and meet your financial goals, whatever they may be. Here I have collected together a list of ideas for you to start actioning today!
Be sure to save me for later on Pinterest!
1. Sell items on Ebay or Amazon
Personally this is one I recommend – over the years I have regularly made around £30-40 a month on things at home, that I didn’t want or need anymore.
2. Dog walking or pet sit part time -in your lunch break or after work
This is brilliant, especially if you love animals and only requires short bursts of time. On top of that you can keep yourself fit! As you build this side income, you could also offer ‘sitting’ for animals, which could involve going into clients’ homes and checking on their animals. You could even end up staying over in the clients’ houses and charging for your time. Websites, you can register on in the UK, include: Dogbuddy
Also, for guidance on the rules in the UK for setting up your side income for this kind of thing, an important read would be NARPSUK.
They offer advice, courses, certification and also detailed advice. Also with the National Association of Pet Sitters and Dog Walkers UK (NARPSUK) offer a monthly membership package that could be worth a look, if you are serious about growing your dog walking side income or pet sitting business.
Membership benefits include things like:
- Business plan templates
- A free web URL, that can be personalised as your own website
- Business advice
- A free listing on their database.
- Discounts on liability insurance
- Software for accounts.
3. Groom pets
Again, if you love animals, why not take the plunge and learn how to groom them. You don’t need any formal qualifications, but it could be worth finding out if there is a dog groomer in your area that might let you learn on the job, whenever you can. The Pet Industry Federation is a good place to find out further information in more detail.
Personally, I have found this to be extremely successful. All of these websites do vary in terms of what qualifications they ask you to have. As a qualified teacher, I have used Tutorhub.
Read my post below, kindly hosted on the Humble Penny:
It’s surprising isn’t it, what we can make happen, if we are determined to make extra money!
Anyway, other good sites, that pay a decent amount include Tutorful – the great thing about these guys is that they just ask that you are knowledgeable about the subject you want to tutor on. You don’t need any formal teaching qualifications to get started.
Other tutoring websites you could have a look at include:
5. Complete surveys
Pinecone Research pay up to £3 per survey at the moment! I’m not going to turn that down as a source of extra money!
Other survey sites that pay well are Prolific. I have found that if I am at home during the day, this is the best time for the Prolific surveys to hit your account. Whilst I’m working my day job, I realised I was missing them all. So during vacations, when I’m relaxing, I’ll do whichever surveys appear.
Last week, I earned £20 to supplement my income! So then I made an extra payment to my student loan! Woop!
Swagbucks always has cool offers on also. You can choose between cash and other stuff like gift cards.
Oh My Dosh!
Go through my refer a friend link and get £1 free on this superb new fast-growing money making website. You can earn cash online by completing online surveys, trials and a range of other opportunities.
6. Sell your unwanted stuff at car boot sales
Now that the warmer weather is trying to come through, why not try this to boost your income. It’s unbelievable how much stuff you an find hidden away in drawers. My rule is that:
If you haven’t used it for a year, chances are you will never use it – so get rid of it!
On average, per car boot sale, I have made over £100 per day.
7. Set up an Etsy Store
If you have a hobby, say for example, you could make money from your talents and sell to your audience via a platform such as Etsy.
8. Start a blog
This is a superb way of developing a side income over time. It really is so easy to start a blog and make it into a source of income for yourself.
Read my related posts and advice on how to create a successful money making blog. It is so cheap and easy.
9.Write an article for these blogs that will pay you up to $100.
Heather Wheeler and Joanie Demer accept articles on a broad range of topics including style/fashion, couponing, family/parenting, and personal finance.
The ladies give their word that that you’ll hear back from them within 7 days and will receive $50 via Paypal if they want publish your article. You can read all the details here.
Listverse publishes nothing but lists. Their posts are all long lists (usually beyond 1,500 words long) containing at least 10 items, with an explanation of why each item deserves its place on the list. They’ll pay you $100 for your article. Read more details here.
This is Disney’s website on parenting. They’re interested in stories that talk about parenting from a different point of view or offer fresh advice on topic related to parenting. Read more details here.
10. Sell Your SmartPhone Photos
If you have a smartphone and an eye for a great shot, making extra money from this is easy. There’s a new app called Foap that allows you to turn your smartphone photos into cash.
11. Sell your photos online
Again, if you are a decent photographer, you could be making more income easily, by hosting your photos online. The Penny Hoarder has a great post, that lists 5 sites that pay on average $100 per photo.
12. Sell your old phone or tablet
So I earn extra money every time I upgrade, I always do this with my old handsets or tablets. Moneysavingexpert has written a superb, detailed post, along with the amounts of extra cash you are pretty much going to get.
Find out how to make money online fast from my handset or tablet!
13.Test products for cash or other rewards of your choice.
Another way you could make extra money at home and online could be to test out products for a website. Paid product testing gives rewards such as cash out, or amazon vouchers or love to shop cards/vouchers.
14. Rent out the stuff you own to raise extra cash
So instead of selling things you rarely use, you could rent it to other people. Like for example, if you own a superb camera, that other people would only need for a couple of days, why not list it for rental. I’ve seen adverts for this kind of thing for £50+ a day. The beauty of these sites is that you are covered by their liability insurance. Use sites such as RentNotBuy or Fatllama.
15. Join Focus groups
Other Easy Ways to Make Money
- Referee sporting events
- Get paid for searching the web using Qmee
- Become a delivery driver or rider
- Do tasks for money over at 20 cogs
- Become a mystery shopper MarketForce
- Use fitness apps and get paid whilst you work out BetterPoints, Sweatcoin and Fitcoin.
- Rent out your parking space
- Direct selling Avon, Usborne Books, or even Ann Summers
- Work as an extra Casting Collective and Extra People. Also check out this interview with movie extra Pete
- Car washing and detailing
- If you have an unusual life story, sell your story
- Modelling . Check out this agency Ugly.
- Be a tour guide for GuruWalk
- Advertise your cleaning services in the local area.
- Advertise your services helping old people with gardening etc
- Become a Virtual Assistant.
- Ghost write for blogs
- Write an ebook.
So hopefully this will have provided you with some inspiration for how to get going on making extra income aside to your main income. Over the next few months, check in with me as I will be featuring more articles about different successful side hustles, including my own from the past and new ways of making money from home that I develop for myself.
Be sure to read my page also about making Free Money as I will update this, when I find new ways of getting free cash.
If you have any cool ideas for making extra money, do share – we all love inspirational ideas and it will help us reach our financial goals quicker!